If you have a baby or small children, moving long distances can be a very stressful affair. Moving House requires a lot of planning and hiring house movers to do the job for you can go out of budget. For long distances though, it is something that we highly recommend. Moving interstate with professional house movers gives you the much-needed time that you need for your baby.
In the final quarter of 2020-21, Adelaide reported an incoming migration figure of around 60. This means that the net number of people moving out of the city is around 60. Exact figures say that 8,239 people moved to the city whereas 8,180 moved out. Whether these migrations were interstate or whether these removals were domestic is another discussion though. Adelaide is one of the few cities which is very busy in terms of house removals. Only Perth and Brisbane report higher numbers than Adelaide in this regard.
Anyway, the point of discussing these figures is that the demand for interstate removalists is very high in these cities. Professional help is absolutely necessary in most cases if you are moving with a baby. To make things easier for you, here are some tips that you can use to help make the house relocation easier for yourself and your family.
1. Plan Ahead
Planning your house relocation should be your foremost priority. Involve your partner in the planning process as well. House removals go much smoother if you have help. While planning, make sure that you:
- Make an inventory of your belongings. Categorize them and maybe note down the kind of packing supplies you’ll need to transport them.
- Start the planning process as soon as you decide that you have to move. The more time you spend on the planning, the better it will be. It will also be less stressful to do it over a period of time.
- Speak with house removalists and get estimates from them. Compare these quotations and choose the best one for you.
- Pick a moving date that is convenient for you and your family. Consult your removalists about how you can save money by moving on a particular day. House removalists charge a flat hourly rate but it is dynamic and changes based on the demand.
- Make a to-do list and write down small and doable tasks that you can gradually take care of.
2. Hire a House Moving Company
House moving with a baby is a lot more work than you think. It is not only physically demanding, but it also requires mental strength. Hiring professional house removalists to do the job for you is the key here. They will take much of the burden off your shoulders and will pack everything properly. Professional movers will also use the appropriate packing supplies to do so. They are experienced to handle family house moves so they understand your pain points. House removalists are quick and efficient and can save you a lot of time. House relocation with movers is much easier than moving alone, especially in the case of long-distance removals.
3. Ensure That Your Car is in A Good Condition
While the house movers will take care of the packing and moving your belongings to the new place, you’ll be travelling the long route in your own car. Travelling with a baby always demands extra attention. Ensure that your car is in pristine condition before heading out on the road. Get it serviced and looked at a few days before the house relocation.
4. Pack Ample Emergency Baby Supplies
House moving with removalists is much easier since they transport everything safely to the new place. However, there are some things that you need to take with yourself on the long journey. Along with your essential documents and driver’s licence, make sure that you carry these baby supplies along with you:
- Baby wipes.
- Extra bottles and rubber nipples.
- Portable diaper changing station.
- First aid kit.
- Disposable bags.
- Front sling.
- Extra baby clothes.
- Diaper rash cream.
- A few toys.
- Pacifier and a teether.
Let your maternal instincts run wild and pack everything that you think might be useful for the road trip. Make sure that your house relocation is easy for your child.
5. Discard Useless Items While Packing
While packing your belongings, it is best to discard things that won’t be necessary for the future. In fact, you can do this while you’re making your inventory. Donate or sell these items. It will help you save costs on packing supplies. Also, there will be less stuff for the professional house removalists to transport. If you are moving everything yourself, this makes even more sense.
6. Do Not Panic
It would only make things worse if you start panicking on the moving day. This is why it is best to plan ahead. Also, hiring help would allow you to give time to your child. Do not worry about how the moving would go – the house removalists are professionals who know what they are doing. They understand your concern and do the most efficient and proper job that they can. Interstate or long distance removals are stressful – YES – but with the right help, it will go about smoothly. Finally, you can always talk to your family and friends and even ask them to help you while you take care of the baby.
7. At The New House
House moving is not only about moving stuff from point A to point B. Take care of the following at your new house:
- Ensure that the house is baby-proofed beforehand. Cover electric sockets and place foam corner covers on furniture and shelves.
- Window cords and curtain cords should be out of reach of your baby. This is more important if you have a toddler.
- Get the nursery sanitised and cleaned thoroughly.
- Add a baby monitor to the nursery.
- Make sure that you get a good rest after you settle in at the new house.
- House moving can be very stressful for your baby. Babies do not like change. Do as much as you can to make this transition smoother for him/her.